Tuesday, April 21, 2015

The Village Idiot

Does anyone even read this anymore?  I know I have certainly lost interest in keeping it updated, but since I use it to record all my quilting/knitting/beading projects, I guess I should at least update my projects.

I made these little ‘stuffies’ as I call them on my embroidery machine.  They were so much fun to make, but as usual, I didn’t have a clue what to do with them when I had them all made.  I decided to post them on Facebook and sell them for $10 each, with all proceeds going to our local Animal Shelter.  Thanks to the support of my friends, I was able to donate $100 to a very worthy cause.

Bunnies and Chicks

There is a very talented lady at our Guild that takes old fur coats and turns them into teddy bears.  I had an old silver fox stole of my Mum’s that I couldn’t bring myself to throw out, and being the animal lover I am, I knew I could never wear it either.  Patti to the rescue.  She turned the stole into the most amazing bear.

Mum's Bear

My Judy Niemeyer group started a couple of weeks ago and I decided I’d make Fourth of July.

 

I think the most intimidating thing about it was getting started, but Judy has some excellent You Tube videos on how to prepare your templates and pattern pieces, so once I actually started, it went very smoothly.  I have starting stitching the blocks and I’m anxious to see how it’s going to look when I put it all together.  Picking the fabric was difficult as she tells you the quantities of light medium and dark, but you don’t really know where they are going until you start sewing.

I usually just work on one project at a time, but right now I have several irons in the fire.  I’m working on a quilt called Moonshine which is a Block of the Month.  I’m doing mine in blue, cream and red.

image

As if that weren’t enough on my plate, I also signed up for this BOM which I loved as soon as I saw it. 

I did finish my Spring Bouquet and had it quilted by Kelly Corfe the owner of The Quilting Bee.  Everyone asked me why I didn’t quilt it myself.  My answer to that is quite simple – if I could quilt like Kelly, I would have!

DSC_3718

While this isn’t the best picture of the overall quilt, it is the best picture of the quilting which is amazing!  Hopefully you can click on it and enlarge it.  It is now hanging in our living room and I love it.

Now, to get back to the title of this post.  Last Saturday, Sandra and I went to Buffalo shopping.  We were almost at the border, when it struck me that I didn’t have my passport.  Just before we left, I decided to switch purses to a lighter weight one.  I keep my passport in my purse all the time (you never know when you might have to pop across the border) in a zippered compartment.  I still don’t know why all of a sudden I remembered that I hadn’t transferred my passport out of that pocket. 

Usually whenever I go out Leo will ask me if I have my passport – do I have my pills – do I have my keys and my response to him is always the same.  Yes, what do you think I am, the village idiot!  Well, obviously I am because when Sandra & I went to Buffalo for our annual Christmas shopping weekend, I forgot my pills – this time I forgot my passport.  Don’t think this doesn’t bother me – it does – a lot.  I find myself doing more and more stupid things lately.  My Aunt told me it’s because I have too much on my mind.  That sounds like a good excuse to me and I’m sticking with it!

I’m leaving on May 1st for a weekend on Mackinac Island in Michigan.  My friend Nikki and I are taking a wool applique class from Lisa Bongean of Primitive Gatherings.  To be honest, we are going just as much to stay in The Grand Hotel as we are for the class.  There are no cars allowed on Mackinac – it’s like stepping back in time.  It will probably be pretty chilly, but if we dress warmly, we should be O.K.  Famous last words.

2 comments:

midnightsnacker said...

I really like your moonshine quilt. You said it was block of the month. Do you remember where it was at so that I could get the pattern. Or do you have the pattern?

Joan said...

That BOM is gorgeous!! What's it called?