Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Fons & Porter’s Log Cabin E-Book

Back in the middle of December, I received an e-mail from Fons & Porter asking if I would be interested in reviewing their e-book on Log Cabins.  Since I’ve always been a fan of their magazine and their quilt show, I quickly replied that I’d love to and received the e-book by return e-mail.

First of all, I must admit I don’t use an e-reader.  I’m one of those old fashioned people that like to hold a book in my hand, turn the pages, see how many I’ve read and how many are left to go.  That being said, I can also understand the convenience of having an electronic reader, especially when travelling and also for convenience of immediate downloads.

I was really impressed with the Log Cabin book.  It covers the traditional, chevron and courthouse steps log cabin blocks and illustrates many different layouts.   As well as giving a history of the blocks, it also gives you a cutting chart for various sizes ranging from 4 1/2” to 13 1/2”.  There is also a fully illustrated pattern for ‘Bears in Bertie’s Cabin’ a combination bears paw and log cabin quilt designed especially for Fons and Porter by Ricky Timms.

This book really is full of useful information and includes a tutorial on binding with piping, Liz’s lumpless binding and bobbin work with trapunto.  There are lots of illustrations throughout and easy to follow instructions.Since the book came in PDF format, that means you can transfer it to iBooks on your iPad or iPhone which is a big plus for me as far as convenience goes.  Since I almost always have my phone with me, if you see the perfect fabric for a log cabin, you have all the fabric requirements at your fingertips.

I’ve saved the best for last.   Fons & Porter have provided me with this link so that you, too, can get a free copy of this wonderful e-book.  Just click here.

Since I don’t like posting without a couple of pictures, here are a couple of log cabins from my collection.

Star Log Cabin 002

Penguin Log Cabin 12

 

1 comment:

Rian said...

Hmmmm....binding with piping. Sounds interesting. Nice review. Say hi to Ben.