Saturday, February 16, 2013

Modern Quilts

Eric, the Online Media Coordinator at Fons & Porter asked if I would review another ebook entitled Modern Quilts.  According to this booklet, Modern Quilts are notable for their minimalist aesthetic, use of bright, bold colour with large doses of white and other neutral solids, asymmetrical designs and free-form piecing.  Who knew?

I think whether you like a quilt or not is based solely on personal preference.  There are some quilts that I can appreciate for all the work and design that has gone into them, but they are just not my cup of tea.  I also think your tastes change over the years.  When I first started quilting, I didn’t like Civil War or reproduction fabrics.  Now, I’m drawn to many of those quilts and would love to make one. 

Having said that, let’s get back to the ebook.  I love the first pattern in the booklet entitled Baubles & Beads.  It’s basically a square in a square with a strip joining the squares as an added design element.  I could definitely see myself making this quilt.

image

As for the other two quilts, they are just not my cup of tea.  Rainbow Rhythm is all half square triangles, but I just don’t like the setting and I particularly don’t like the black rectangles in it.  I know these could easily be changed, but I’m reviewing the book as written.

 

image

The last quilt is called Lemon Squeezy and it reminds me very much of the Jelly Roll Race quilts that are making the rounds.  I do like that this one is done diagonally, but, like the Jelly Roll Race quilts, I just don’t see the point.  Everyone and their dog has made one of the Jelly Roll quilts and I’ve yet to see one that I like.  I guess it could be said that they are quick and easy but I’m at a loss for anything else good to say about them.

image

For some reason, the picture on this won’t copy properly but if you go to this link, you can get a copy of the ebook complete with instructions for all three quilts.  The instructions are well written, easy to understand and well illustrated.  Hope one of these is your cup of tea!

I’ve been working on a square in a square quilt myself.  The blocks were completed back in November and I finally got them assembled this week.  I also pieced the backing which is one of my least favourite jobs, so it’s ready to be quilted.  This top was made with two packages of Bali Pops and I ended up with a top 66” x 84”.  I don’t think I’ll be buying any more Bali Pops – some of the strips were really wonky and I’ve heard friends comment on this too. 

001

Monday is Family Day in some parts of Canada and I’m celebrating by going to see Bon Jovi.  It’ll take a week for me to get the smile off my face Smile

 

No comments: