Thursday, October 17, 2013

It’s Been a Long Time

For those that don’t know, I’ve been sick, really sick.  While I don’t want to go into all the morbid details, here’s the condensed version of what happened.  I went to Emergency on February 25th with really bad asthma symptoms.  While waiting in Emergency for a room, I developed the Tamiflu, then got double pneumonia and was on a ventilator for 9 days in ICU.  Following that, my lung collapsed 3 times so I had to have a chest tube inserted and back to ICU I went.  I was allergic to the Heparin they give you to prevent blood clots and hemorrhaged and eventually ended up with a blood clot in my lung.  Since I had been off my feet for so long, I could no longer stand or walk and had to learn to do that all over again.  After 87 days in hospital, I was finally released. 

When I came home that’s when everything hit me.  I could barely walk, I needed help going up and down the stairs, my breathing was very laboured and I generally felt awful.  I guess you can’t spend that long in hospital without going into a deep depression and that’s what happened.  I’m still struggling and trying to claw my way back to some kind of normalcy.  They say if you go through the motions, then eventually the pleasure will return – I’m still waiting.

I’ve missed my blog as it serves as a record of what I’ve been doing on the quilting and knitting front, so I’ve decided to try and start over and record what I have been able to accomplish.

In late July, I decided to start on something small and made some quilted cards, embellished with Swarovski crystals. 


The exposure on this picture is terrible, but you get the idea.  Since I still wasn’t ready to tackle anything on a larger scale, I decided to make Christmas cards.


While these are really easy, they are very time consuming.

I was doing the Border Creek Station Mystery Quilt before I got sick and luckily was all caught up on the clues.  I managed to get the top finished just in time for the reveal at the end of September.



My Aunt has been amazing during my recovery and came over every day at 9 a.m. to help me make it through the day.  She encouraged me, walked with me, comforted me, helped make meals and I know without her I wouldn’t have made the progress I have.  She is truly an amazing generous person and I love her with all my heart.  She brought her knitting over with her and always had it in a paper carrier bag, so I made this for her to carry her knitting.



Two of my daughter Sandra’s favourite things are shoes and Halloween, so this seemed an appropriate table runner for her.  Darren & her are having a big Halloween party this year, so I thought this would look good on their table.


I’ve had a Hunter’s Star on my to-do list for many, many years.  I bought the fabric for it at least 6 years ago and I bought Deb Tucker’s Rapid Fire Hunter’s Star Ruler at MQX in 2009!!!  I thought it was time I got started, so this is my progress so far.



As you can see, it’s not all stitched together yet, it’s just placed on the design wall.

I’ve been doing a little knitting too, but I’ll leave that for another day or I’ll have nothing left to show you.


Becky said...

Wow. For someone who has been really sick, you have been finishing some amazing stuff! Great job and trust you will continue to feel better and get stronger and stronger.

Char said...

I definitely have missed you! I was thinking that after retirement you gave up quilting and started traveling. Sorry your time off blogging wasn't pleasant. One thing about having clinical depression, next time you recognize the symptoms early and can get help early. Love the Christmas postcard. Welcome back.

Vicki W said...

Oh wow, what an ordeal! I'm so glad the worst of it is behind you. I hope your recovery continues at a fast pace! Good to see you creating again!

Suzan said...

I knew you had been ill but didn't want to appear too "nosey". I am so happy you are on the mend. I had pneumonia when I was in my mid-40s and I could not believe how long it took me to get my strength back. All your lung issues just depleted everything you had. You WILL feel better and be stronger. Love what you have accomplished during your recovery time. Keep it up!!

Deborah Levy said...

So sorry Irene for the awful ordeal you have been through. Hopefully now, you are well on your way to full recovery.

Very happy to see you creating again.All the best as you continue forward, and I look forward to seeing you and your work.

Bev said...

I can so relate! I'm coming back from something similar. I'm a little further along than you are. I have to work so it's been hard to do the cleaning, etc. that has to be done. My work is at the computer at home so I've been able to get some done. If I don't work, I don't get paid! I don't have an auntie.... Not sure when the depression lifts. I guess mines a little better now. I've really tried to stay off the self pity train...Looks like you've been busy! My prayers are with you for full recovery. XO Bev

Michele Bilyeu said...

Oh, Irene! Bless your heart! And I am SO glad you linked up to my blog, today! Of course I know you from facebook, and have seen some of your beautiful work! But I did not know how much you have been through! I am so familiar with these terrible challenges having helped family members who were incredibly sick, on ventilators my heart goes out to you in all ways!!! Please know you are in my thoughts and prayers! How wonderful to have a link up to your blog and get to know you better!

Debra Anger said...

Irene.. I am so sorry that you have been through the health system and a terrible ordeal at that! but so glad that you have some family support and quilting to help you on your way to a different but normal life. I hope with blogging and getting around to quilting and knitting again you can find your health back to normal and see life as an adventure that you have overcome with courage.
So glad you are back to blogging looking forward to your progress both in craft and health, hugs your way Deb