Sunday, February 22, 2009

A Cluttered Sewing Room Makes for a Cluttered Mind

My sewing room has really been bothering me lately - it is so unorganized and cluttered and I just can't stand it anymore....again! I bought a LOT of clear plastic containers on Friday and my goal was to try and get my strings and scraps organized by colour in these bins.

So far, I've spent a couple of hours on the computer, put in a few loads of laundry and laid the containers out on the floor. Do you think I'm procrastinating????

I know what my problem is - I just don't know how to solve it.



This is where the bulk of my stash is - arranged by colour (sort of) and Christmas and panels/novelty/children's. The problem is I also have 5 sets of rolling drawers that also have fabric in them that I can't fit onto these shelves. Then there are the bolts of fabric piled on the floor.

I 'think' where my biggest problem lies is that I have fat quarters and left overs in with my regular yardage. I also have 3 large hat boxes that I keep scraps/strings in, but they aren't in any kind of order either by size or by colour.

So, I thought I would start with the hat boxes and sort them by colour into these plastic containers. When I began to do this, I started second guessing myself and wondering if I shouldn't be also sorting them into only strings and then smaller pieces that would only be good for applique or paper piecing. This was the point where I just kind of walked away and went and played on the computer - and I'm still here.

I just talked with my friend Lee and she suggested I move everything downstairs to my longarm room. I do have a fair bit of room down there, but I've always been reluctant to do this as I don't think I would sew as much if my sewing machine was downstairs. I could be wrong and maybe I need to try it. I'm sure Leo would just love to help me move everything downstairs, then when I decide I don't like it, he can help me move it all back upstairs again.

A bigger sewing room would solve all my problems. Maybe I need to go and look at real estate ads....

1 comment:

free indeed said...

I so know what you are going through!!! My sewing room has been torturing me for a year now! I did finally get all my larger pieces folded around the ruler style and stacked on shelves outside my sewing room.(hubby didn't like all the weight it added to the unsupported floor in the sewing room). Now, it's all the bits and pieces and crafty things everywhere. I'm thinking those plastic tubs aren't going to do it for me....I want a color coordinated place like I see online...and no one to paint for me...and what colors...and and and? I'm stymied as I don't like walking in my sewing room anymore...there is so much stuff on the floor and no shelves and I just keep adding to the clutter...like bringing home binders to put all my clipped patterns in and going through all the mags and clipping more...a never ending mountain....Sorry I am adding my woes to yours! I often thought of posting pictures of my room and letting someone else give suggestions...you know seeing it through someone elses eyes...they might have ideas that will get me out of my zombie state...I wish you the best room makeover ever!