Saturday, January 12, 2008

First One off Tillie


I loaded a string quilt on Tillie (thanks Sandy) this morning and I am THRILLED with my new machine. I just did a simple panto, Chantilly Lace and I didn't have any tension issues - absolutely none - there isn't a railroad track, long stitch or loop anywhere - front or back! The picture above isn't a very good one - as soon as I get the binding on, I'll try and get a better picture of the stitch quality.

One question I do have that I hope someone can help me with - how do you get your stitches to 'sink' into the fabric? Is it thread choice, batting, tension or loading the top and/or backing more loosely?


You'll be happy to know that at least this quilt has a home. It's going to my Mum's church for one of their craft sales.

2 comments:

Mary Johnson said...

Congrats on getting the new machine up and running.

I'm not sure what you mean about having the stitches sink into the fabric but if they're just laying on the top then it might be a tension issue although puffier batting or a flannel back might give them more room to sink in.

Also, I toss everything in the washing machine once I'm done and it gives it a lot more dimension when it crinkles around the stitching lines.

Deborah Levy said...

Congrats on the first quilt off your longarm! That's got to feel great. Glad it all worked well for you.

As to the stitches sinking in...not quite sure what you mean, but the thicknes of the batting makes a difference. But also, they look better once you get them off the frame so there's no tension on it.