Saturday, April 19, 2008

He's Home

Leo was discharged on Thursday afternoon and I was sent home with an overwhelming list of nursing duties to perform. A nurse will visit once a day, but the rest is up to me and to be honest, it scares me to death.

His spirits are lower than a snake's belly. I think it has suddenly hit him just how sick he was and just how long his recovery is going to be. Leo has always been the strong one and taken care of me, and now the shoe is on the other foot and he isn't taking kindly to it. He's mad at his body and he's mad at his inability to do normal every day things we take for granted - he's pretty much mad at the world right now.



On a more positive note, how can you feel glum when you look at this lovely get well spring basket of daffodils, tulips, crocus and hyacinths - isn't it lovely!


Every day I keep thinking today is the day I will get back into some kind of routine, but it just isn't happening. I did manage to sew two pieces of fabric together so I guess that is a start. There are so many decisions that are going to have to be made and I don't feel in a position to make any right now.


The lease on my car is up in a couple of weeks and the buy-back figure they gave me stinks! When I took the lease out four years ago our dollar was worth a lot less than it is now so the buy-back should have gone down to reflect this change. Well, surprise, surprise - it didn't and the explanation they gave me is the strength of our Canadian dollar hasn't reached the automotive market yet. What a crock!


So, I don't know what to do - do I just turn it in (I had planned all along to buy this car at the end of the lease). Do I buy another new car, do I buy a used car with a warranty or do I just drive Leo's car until he is back on his feet and postpone the decision for a few months, bearing in mind I hate driving his car and it gets awful gas mileage. These are the kinds of decisions I could really do without having to worry about right now.


Ben is so happy to have Leo home. He's slept by his side constantly and just senses that things aren't right. We were concerned about him jumping on Leo in bed, but he instinctively knows to avoid his stomach area.


When my two "adopted" grandchildren heard that I had to give Leo needles, they sent me this picture with the caption "We're ready to give Leo any needles he may need".


Aren't they just adorable!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's great to hear some news, Irene. I've been thinking of you and wondering how it's going.

If it were me, I'd put off making any irrevocable decisions until you feel more up to making them, or perhaps until Leo is closer to being on his feet again. I'd give the car back if I was really not willing to pay the price to buy it out, and then use the other car as little as possible for a bit.

You could also do some research and see how much a used car of the same year and model as the one you have would cost if you really like it that much, because it could cost less than buying out the lease.

Hang in there girl. Leo sounds like a normal man: they all hate feeling helpless. It will get better! When you feel glum, go back and look at that beautiful basket!

SandyQuilts said...

Yipppeeeeeee our Leo is home. Oh my gosh those girls LOVE Leo alot .. look at the size of their "needle of love". LOL

You know how businesses like to stick it to a woman ... would the buy back price have been the same to Leo or DS or DSIL (to be)? Makes me wonder. I'd probably wait. Gosh what a pickle.

Deborah Levy said...

Hi Irene, Glad Leo is home. He will heal better and faster at home. I know it is overwhelming to you right now, but just take it an hour at a time, and ina week or so you'll both get into a routine that that works and things will be a little easier for you both. It is a very difficult time for both of you, but hang in there.

As for all the "other" decisions...don't try to do it all. Postphone what you can; and enlist the help of sons and daughters for those that can't put off. And as soon as Leo is feeling up to it involve him in descision making too...it will help him with the helplessness feelings. The sooner you can involve him in normal life decisions, the better his outlook will be, his depression will improve and he will actually heal faster physically.

Equally important is that you have some time for just you...get the kids to come give you a break once in a while.

My thoughts and prayers are with you both.