Wednesday, April 30, 2008

When You Eat Your Smarties...

Do you eat the red ones last?
Do you suck them very slowly, or crunch them very fast?
Eat that candy-coated chocolate, but tell me when I ask
When you eat your Smarties,
Do you eat the red ones last?

No, I haven't completely lost it, at least I don't think so anyway. For you non-Canadians, that is the "Smartie" song. Smarties are similar to M & Ms and I don't think they are available in the U.S. - only in Canada eh! The song just popped into my head and I just had to share.

Getting back to what I was going to talk about.....I was mulling the question around in my mind about what you put on your quilt backs. I'm anal, I admit it, but my backs have to, in some way, shape or form, match the front. The fabric doesn't necessarily have to be the same, but it has to 'go'. Remember, I have the matchy matchy gene.

I just can't understand using beautiful fabric on the front of a quilt, then putting any old thing on the back. The argument is, it won't be seen - well, it will be. If it's a lap quilt, the back is on display all the time. If it's on a bed, when you turn it down, you always see the back.

Probably the reason I'm thinking about this, is I have a top finished but am just about 12" short of fabric for the back which proves, once again, that you can never buy too much yardage.

As they say in the business, it's been a slow news day.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I totally agree w/you...of course I do cuz I'm anal too! The back matching is a must! It doesn't have to be the same fabric but it must coordinate. I also don't like piecing the back from fabric scraps all sewn together...unless it's done in a pattern then technically it's not a back but another top...see I AM anal!

SandyQuilts said...

Hey not me. But then 98% of my work is charity so I use lots of pattern, color and whatever. Oh and my binding is usually another color or sometimes a lot of leftovers stitched together. he he he

Deborah Levy said...

don't know about the smarties, but the backing fabric....with you 200%

Dorothy said...

I don't own any ugly fabric, so, heh, it's not a problem.

Now, about those Smarties... Here in the US the closest thing (and not at all close, actually) is M&Ms. But we do have a candy called Smarties. In Canada, they're called Rockets - the little cello-wrapped candies we give out at Halloween. Wanna know what's funny? Rockets and (US) Smarties are exactly the same, made at the CeDe Candy plant n Newmarket, Ontario.

Nadine said...

When I started quilting, I used cheapo muslin on the backs, if you can believe it. "It doesn't get seen" was the justification, and of course, muslin costs a lot less!

Now I use a coordinating fabric, and I tend to start thinking about the backing in the very beginning of a project, so I can plan ahead for that and quilting threads, etc. "Agonize ahead" is more like it, being anal just like you, or maybe worse than you! I don't use scrappy pieced backings, either.

They do have Smarties in Europe, interestingly enough. I still like M&M's better, though...