Saturday, September 13, 2008

Quilt Seminar - Part Two

This is the raffle quilt made by members of the Amherst Quilt Guild - the picture really doesn't do it justice - it is just gorgeous. They were drawing a winner this afternoon but my phone hasn't rung yet .


Bonnie Browning did a lecture on Wednesday night which highlighted her trips (through slides) around the world to various quilting events. She did bring a couple of her quilts to show and this one was my favourite.

You can't really tell from this picture, but the flowers were three dimensional and were made by rouching the fabric. I took Bonnie's class on Thursday to make the famous 'Windmill Quilt' which was shown at the beginning of Simply Quilts.



This class was listed as a beginner class, but let me tell you, if this was the first quilting class I had ever taken, I'd be running for the hills - and still running. It isn't really difficult but colour placement is critical and keeping your strips organized, especially in a classroom setting, was a bit challenging.


I didn't enjoy this class nearly as much as Jodi's as both teachers have very different methods of teaching. I'm not sure if this is proper blog etiquette, but like Rian, I like to keep it real. Bonnie explained the method then sat at the front of the class and we were left on our own to screw up at will - and lots of us did. I got the feeling that she has taught this class so often that it's old hat to her, but it was a new method to us. I should point out that this is just my opinion and I know there were some in the class that had no problems at all.

Here is what I have so far - untrimmed and in no particular order.


I was lucky enough to win this as a door prize:


I already have a beautiful thread cabinet that Darren made for my embroidery thread, complete with little pegs so the thread won't fall off




so I'm hoping I can use my new thread holder downstairs for my longarm thread. I'm not sure if it will hold the cones and I haven't been able to summon up the energy to go downstairs and try one....but I will....soon.

4 comments:

Sylja said...

Hi! :)

I,ve looked through this blogg, and I must say, I'm truly stunned by all your wonderful work here!

I do not know how to quilt myself, I never had the patience to learn. I'll just stick to my crochet-needle and knitting.

But that windmillquilt you had here, that has to be the most facinating thing I've ever seen. The colours and composition... Wow!

-Sylja (from Norway) :)

Deborah Levy said...

Taking classes can fun, but it's better when the teacher is engaged and in tune with the students.

What you've done so far looks great and congrats on winning the thread stand.

Anonymous said...

Irene, what you said IS "proper blog etiquette" IMO. We all need to share these types of factual observations with each other! Being real is where it's at.

I like the thread stand that you won! Does it have any manufacturer info on it? I might like to have one...

I do have to say that you're one lucky duck with that thread cabinet too. It's perfectly wonderful, and Darren should go into business.

Anonymous said...

Those are all beautiful quilts--stunning. I agree with you, that is way beyond beginner, first-timers need something simple and quick so they can get the sense of accomplishments straight out of the chutes.